Monday 10 December 2012


When I started building this jewelry box I had a deadline of one month, needless to say I vastly underestimated how long it would actually take. In the end it turned out to take about three and a half months of work to get it to a stage at which it could be varnished, which I still haven’t done yet. Hopefully I will get it spray varnished sometime soon.     

This is by far the best piece I made this year at college, I chose a jewelry box because I've wanted to make a nice one for a long time. The first thing I did was to look at some existing jewelry box designs and see if there was one I liked. I found a website that sold a very complicated box with a self lifting-out tray, compartments underneath and a draw on the bottom. This design suites  me perfectly because it has wood, mechanical moving parts and tricky maths in the support strut. So I decided to make basically a replica of this one. As for materials it's the usual suspects, Huon pine and Myrtle. The tray, draw, lid and all the dividers are Huon and the sides are Myrtle. The little handles for the lid and draw are Australian cedar and I've felted all the compartments and the inside of the lid. The top of the lid is a single piece of birds eye Huon pine which was very difficult to get hold of because it had to be no less than 205mm wide and Huon pine gets expensive when it gets wide. Talking of dimensions it is 330mm in width, 230mm deep and 155mm high and all the sides are 15mm in thickness. Overall I'm extremely pleased with it, this box has turned a lot of heads so just imagine how good it will look when it's finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment